Child support

changes in custody

Child support generally may be changed or modified by filing a motion to modify and demonstrating to the court that the circumstances of the child or one or both parents have materially and substantially changed, or that some period of time (3 years, for example) has passed since the court’s last child support order. And if there has been a material and substantial change in the custody of the child—if, for example, the noncustodial parent who was paying child support has become the custodial parent—the court may change or eliminate the child support obligation based on the change in the custody arrangement.

State Statutes for the State of Texas

Federal Statutes