Select your state

Child support


In most states the parents of a minor child may agree to the amount of child support, and courts encourage the parents to do so. But the court will generally review the agreed amount of child support and determine whether it is in the best interest of the child before signing a child support order. And if the parents later agree to change the amount of or need for child support, they should return to court and get a signed order that reflects the agreed or changed amount, as only the court may change the legal obligation under a child support order.

In Texas, parents of a minor child can come to an agreement regarding the amount of child support, and such collaboration is often encouraged. However, the agreed-upon amount is subject to review by the court to ensure that it serves the best interest of the child. The court will only issue a child support order after confirming that the agreement is appropriate and meets the child's needs. If parents wish to modify the amount or terms of child support in the future, they must petition the court for a modification. The court will then evaluate the proposed changes and, if deemed acceptable, will issue a new order reflecting the updated terms. It is important to note that only a court can legally alter the obligations set forth in a child support order, and informal agreements between parents without court approval do not change the legal responsibilities.

Legal articles related to this topic